Thursday, December 27, 2007

Spa Services in Westchester

I love nail salons. I love spas. And I am sure we all recognize the difference, but most often, the lines can be blurry.

In my mind, I always equated spas to boyfriends: First, there is always a list of them. You can pick and choose depending on your mood (and need for services). If you are happy with one, then you are in a blissful state of mind. If you are not happy with your current one, you simply move on to the next. No hard feelings? Well, often times, break-ups can be painful, you never know how the next spa is going to treat you or you don't know how good you had it. Bowing your head and swallowing your pride, you can always go back for one more. But as my grandmother always says, things happen for a good reason; you may not recognize it at first.

So, my local spa history started with Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa at the Westchester. I was used to frequenting the 5th Avenue location, so familiar products, same gracious service, and delicious teas and coffees offered in a plush setting were all I thought I needed. Just as I was getting comfortable, my "treatment lady" left. I was heartbroken.

Then began my treks back into the City to my original digs. When I had half a day to spend, I would hop on the train, usually at an off-peak time. 45 minutes (and an all-aggravating eavesdropping on a seatmate's phone conversation) later rushing to the 4 or the 5, I would get to Union Square to Jeniette Day Spa to Jennie's welcoming hands. It wasn't until I started working in the Flatiron District that I found this incredible spot- professionalism and amazing service at great values! I wish they were just closer...

On the other hand, Mario Badescu's location worked fairly well for my treks from GCT, but I've come to realize that I love its products more than the experience at the spa. Just a matter of preference.

If I planned to meet my hubby for apres-work drinks, I would head over the J. Sisters in midtown, and in a jiffy, feel like a freshly plucked chicken! I always admire the speediness of this place, but most often felt that I was just a credit card.

Same with Bliss. When it first opened up, after devouring articles over Marcia Kilgore's genius move into the business, I was probably one of their first customers. Eagerly, I embraced and loved Bliss. I still do. But over a period of year or two, I changed about 4-5 "treatment ladies" because they had left- to go somewhere else or retire? Some called to invite to their new spa du-jour. I don't know, I liked them at Bliss. Sometimes I wonder if I could've had a different relationship with Bliss...

Another one of my heartaches came from The Spa at the Chelsea Piers. This time, it was not the changing staff, but rather a brutal MetroNorth-subway-bus trip to the West Side. When my hubby played at the Chelsea Skating Rink, we'd make a date out of it, but alas, even he has moved on.

I was thinking of trying out Oasis Day Spa but after redeeming our Valentine's Day couple's massage gift certificate, I did not feel warm and fuzzy about the location. It seemed too close to going to work rather than going to get pampered.

All this traveling was getting to me. So, I went online to SpaFinder to locate some place closer. Hence, my encounter with Completely Bare in Scarsdale. Located smack in the middle of the village of Scarsdale, I found this place cozy and welcoming but too pricey. And did I really want to be embellished with Swarowski crystals after a bikini wax? Hmmm, not me.

I then headed over to Mamaroneck to Bodicures. Located in what reminded me of a Nantucket cottage, this place had all the little touches that made you feel you were home. But alas, this was not my home. After a pleasant but long treatment, I was tempted to go to Sherwood's and eat my sorrows in form of ribs.

My search then led me over to Tranquility Spa. Before they moved into their current location, the spa was located on a second floor of a building that also housed a furniture retailer. Ambiance-wise, a big minus. I was terribly late to my appointment, but the gracious lady at the reception told me it was all ok and that they'd take me in shortly. And they did. I forgot all about the furniture retailer downstairs. A chatty young girl assisted me to the treatment room- I thought I was in a Jack Nicholson movie, what was the name? She continued talking about her recent certificate from the NY School of Esthetics, and her boyfriend, and her cat,... I just had about enough. And I remembered: The Shining- that was the movie! My sister-in-law just gave me a gift certificate to the new location- I think I am going to give the new location a try.

Too many bruises on the body, ego and wallet, I bowed my head and went back to the Red Door Spa for one more try. For now, I feel like I hit the jackpot! Michelle is just wonderful- bubbly and welcoming, and they just added a few new coffee flavors in their waiting lounge...

With that said, my cheating heart so afraid of being broken again, I am compiling a new list of spas that I might want to try:

No comments: