Saturday, March 1, 2008

Getting to Know Mickey Drexler and Madewell

OK- I never knew that J.Crew had an offshoot called Madewell just like the Gap has its Old Navy!?!? What's the secrecy?

Just as I admire Tory Burch (see my previous post), I absolutely love and admire how J.Crew turned itself around from being a college-kid catalogue retailer with 20+ plaid designs to what it's perceived today: well-designed up-to-date clothes made with fine fabrics and fine craftsmanship. I've watched the the company "grow up" from the catalogues, online and the stores I've seen popping up (unlike the Gaps or the Duane Reades, definitely more selectively) in places like the Westchester. I cannot resist the stores- I am partial to the ones in SoHo, near GCT, and obviously- at the Westchester.

As I got up this morning, sipping my divinely delicious and thick Mastro Lorenzo Crema from my Tassimo, I picked up the NYTimes and started browsing through the sections. In the Business Day section, I met Mickey Drexler. Perhaps, it was the tone of the journalist, Joe Nocera, that made me feel closer to Mr. Drexler, and embrace him just as I do Tom Brady (the archenemy of my beloved Jets), or maybe it was Mr. Drexler's motto of being close to his customer in the age of increasingly rotten customer service (oh- I can start a blog on this one!!!), I cannot tell, but I was glued to the article.

Mr. Drexler apparently developed his love for the women's retail from his father who was a button-maker. Growing up in the industry, he started working in big department stores. At this point in the article, to quote him, Mr. Drexel says, " they look funny when you show too much passion" referring to big department stores. How true is this for big anything! He then moved onto Ann Taylor- turned it from the fuddy-duddy to store of choice for working women. He found his next home at the Gap- turned the company into a retail giant- perhaps, much bigger than he anticipated. There, he was initially the President, where the role allowed him to be close to the customer, and then the CEO, where he "lost his touch" with us, the consumers. He was dealing with numbers than the real people- and that's when he was asked to leave. He said he learned a valuable lesson- at this point of the article, I am embracing his reflective side.

You know how they say one man's leftover is another man's treasure- and that's what happened at J.Crew. He turned the company into how we know it today. And he reiterates that he's successful at his job because he remains close to his clients, the consumers. He apparently reads his emails, responds to inquiries, and visits his stores consistently.

Three hoorays to you, Mr. Drexel! Or can I call you Mickey? I will forgive you for not telling me about Madewell sooner, but I guess, it's OK after all...

No comments: