Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Botkier

Right up there with Tory Burch, I admire Monica Botkier. She's a native City girl who has an eye and penchant for clean design with a modern twist.

This is how I was introduced to Botkier, I will never forget it: I think it was Fall of 2006, I was on the 4 line on my way from Jeniette back to GCT to catch the train back to the 'burbs. Usually buried in a magazine, my eyes caught a glorious deep burnt orange bag- with fringes and all- standing in front me on the arm of a girl. It was not only calling my name but also winking at me. Cheater. I admired the worn soft supple leather against the backdrop of heavy-duty metals of multiple zippers, the western-inspired fringes, the "I don't care if I don't look all put together, but you know I really am" look... Such classic lines with the modern tweaks... I wanted it. No, I needed it. The ride was short, and I needed to know who created such a beauty. And that's how I met her.

Over the past years, I've been stalking Botkier. Yes, stalking. I missed the 2007 sample sale, and then I missed this summer's sample sale. Needless to say, I was devastated. Until today...

I was having a breakfast of pecan-honey buns (frozen, reheated at 325F for 25 min.s) and Tassimo Starbucks House Coffee on my patio and browsing through InStyle's August issue when I saw that Botkier has collaborated with Target for an inexpensive line! Oh, my- could it be true??? I rushed to my computer, googled "botkier and target" and there it was!

My first instinct was put every single style in my shopping cart- and I did!!! Noticing my greed and need for instant gratification, I took a quick break and emailed my girlfriend who shares my addiction to Botkier; she responded immediately with an "OMG"! Indeed. We went back and forth reviewing the bags, complaining about the PVC (c'mon- even Marc Jacobs uses real leather for its inexpensive line!!!), debating over the color fuchsia, making the images larger, smaller,..., until only 3 styles remained in my shopping bag.

In order to avoid rash decision-making, I even took a break to take a shower (and a great excuse to use my absolute new fave body moisturizer: Vaseline Cocoa Butter Vitalizing Gel Body Oil). Checked to see if the mailman delivered. Tidied up the living room.

With a clearer head, I revised and pressed the "confirm order" button. Let's see, Botkier! Are you going to live up to your reputation?

No comments: