Friday, July 18, 2008

Our new addition...

It must be the stage of our lives- bridal shower invitations are turning into baby shower invitations, birthday parties at various drinking establishments celebrating milestones are turning into backyard BBQs celebrating first or second birthdays...

Yesterday, hubby and I were celebrating another kind of addition to our family- our family of electronic beverage machines: The Kegerator!! Keggy, as we named him, made himself very comfortable on our kitchen counter right next to my Tassimo. I think this morning, with my barely opened eyes, I almost poured myself some ice cold beer; I might, after all, change his location...

See, I did not know what a kegerator was until last week when a trusted friend suggested to buy it as a surprise for hubby; and I did not blink at the idea twice. Pulling out my credit card, I placed the order. After all, I thought, how much fun would it be to have it for our large gatherings?

Then the waiting period came, and I started wondering if it was the right choice to buy one. Was I regressing in age to college years? Scenes from keg parties rushed back to my mind- asking someone to tap the keg, guys pouring beer, basement parties,... I felt a little guilty. A little embarrassed. I wrestled with the thought. We own a blender to mix margaritas & daiquiris. A martini shaker for my fave dirty martinis. A wine rack. So, what was so different about this one?

Our 5-liter beverage dispenser arrived in its huge box. I emailed our friend immediately- the kegerator was here! Equally excited, we waited for hubby's reaction that evening. Needless to say, he was pleasantly surprised- started reading the manual in anticipation of the first keg that I promised that I'd get the next day.

The Internet provided several suppliers of 5-liter kegs- and I can happily report that the choices are not limited to Heineken and Coors:
Beer Geek: http://beergeek.stores.yahoo.net/5literkegcans.html
BevMo!: http://www.bevmo.com/productlist.asp?area=beer

Nearby, I located the following beer distributor:
Bavarian Beverage Center
643 Saw Mill River Road
Ardsley
(914) 693-3339

The verdict: Ice-cold beer, tap after another. Satisfied hubby, happy me. We're proud owners of Keggy.

Next, I may include him in our holiday cards!!!

No comments: