Friday, January 2, 2009

Love Affair with a Piece of (New) History

I am so sorry PETA, but I love my vintage three-quarter length fur coat. I do.

See, the thing is that 'my' coat is not only vintage, but it's also been custom-made to my mother's specifications. You can see it in the stitching, the quality of the lining, the details on the metal hooks, and the seamless connection of the fur pieces. In addition, it's a gift from her.

My personality gets crushed under the coat- without asking for permission, it gives you a whole another persona. Maybe a woman of means, a lady of leisure? Or, maybe one that meets her secret lover at French bistros across town? One that wears make-up to bed?

The coat begs for expensive high-heels. Also, something frail and lithe underneath. Or maybe, just a simple black cashmere turtleneck. Better yet, just a little piece from La Perla?

My imagination runs wild as I stare at my mind's 'new' self in the mirror. I can be anything, anyone.

Only underneath, I am supporting my worn-down blue pajamas, pink fluffy socks. Hair is sticking out from the makeshift bun on my nape. Manicure-less fingernails. Face too tired from previous days' indulgence. I notice my cheeks a little chubbier than usual, my face a little rounder. A pale yellow, splotchy face.

I close my eyes. Cringe that the reality does not match the imagination.

This time, I am not angry. More determined. More reflective. I am quick to think about my priorities, my goals. What matters, what does not. Isn't this part of 'growing up', I wonder.

I love my vintage three-quarter length fur coat. I really do.

No comments: