Sunday, January 18, 2009

Suburban Spirit

On the way from the gym last night, I felt brave. I was in touch with my emotions, secure with the progress of my new year's resolutions, and overall, comfortable with the recent decisions my hubby and I have been making. Emotionally, I was on solid grounds. With this courage, I declared to hubby that I wanted to see Revolutionary Road.

See, I have been afraid of seeing that movie, primarily because I kept thinking it'd bring out the "city" in me, the desire to leave everything behind, run with hubby, and move back to what's been our home. The push-and-pull between the city and the suburbs has been an emotional roller-coaster ride, one that brought hubby and I closer together, one that has enabled us to grow together. Or, maybe, just me.

A friend who recently saw the movie commented that it surfaced some 'commitment' issues. Some others thought it was a 'dark' and 'bleak' look into relationships in general. A recent New York Times article in the "Westchester" section while admitting that the movie is "affecting," denies the stereotyping of the 'burbs with a heart-warming story of a Pelham family. (And I have to admit that I've seen, first-hand, a community come together in the face of multiple tragedies- there's definitely something to say about that.)

So on the way from the gym last night, after confirming to myself that I am on solid emotional grounds and can handle movie, I heard my hubby respond, "I'd rather see Gran Torino."

Typical. So typical...

No comments: