Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolution, Schemezolution,..., I'm Determined! And, This is Personal.

Hubby is right to laugh at me (note: not "with" me) when I declare to him my 2009 resolutions. It stings a bit; yet, we go through the same motions every beginning of a new year. There's a pattern, I cannot blame him.

Well, not this year. This year, I am determined.

According to studies, "40 to 45% of adults in the United States will make New Year's resolutions" and "40 to 46% of New Year's resolvers will be successful at six months." Heck. I want to be among the 40 t0 46% this year. And I will.

According to Dr. Norcross from University of Scranton, the resolutions need to be:

1. Realistic, hence attainable,
2. Part of an action plan,
3. Backed up with your own confidence, and
4. Declared publicly.

I'd like to believe I've checked off the first three requirements, and this entry is my public declaration. Here are my 2009 resolutions:

1. Body: Beyond just the body image and my perception of my physical self, I don't believe I've taken utmost care of my body. So, as part of my action plan this year, I'll be more conscious of what I put in it (declared a war on mono sodium glutamate and hydrogenated corn oil), complete a 21-day detox in January (already planned what I need!), and work out at least 3 times a week. I also would like to pick up on my running- I had a fairly good stamina- so, I want it back. Nothing like a runner's high!

2. Soul: Reading and writing are food for my soul. Although I am a verbal person and never shy to express my thoughts, I often find comfort in writing when my thoughts reflect my deeper feelings. Same goes for reading- I tend to read books that usually match my mood du-jour, seek for those moments where a book can provide some answers to what's going on in my life at that time. Both reading and writing to me are very closely related to listening to music, and a variety of it- minus some Folk, some Honky-tonk, Jug band, alcohol-infused Texan Country Music. I get my inspiration from music- lyrical and non-lyrical alike. So, this year, my resolution for my soul is to read, write and listen as much as I can! Part of my action plan includes writing on a daily basis, and taking little steps towards completing my story. I've already rejoined my trusted circle of writing friends; we start in February. Renewed my library card. Of course, I will put that iTunes gift card to use!

3. Mind: I admit, I cheated a bit on this one. This is not a new resolution per say, but rather one that I had made, pursued, and achieved, not yet accomplished. More explicitly, I had applied to a master's program at a school of my choice, and got admitted for this summer start. I am thrilled at this opportunity, one that I'd like to think that I worked very hard at achieving. At the same time, I don't feel that I am ready to celebrate this as an achievement, but rather take it in as a means to getting where I see myself going. This will be my resolution for my mind.

There. I've declared them all. Quite frankly, this does feel pretty good!

Give it a try yourself.

No comments: