Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back to the Local Library...

I admit: I had not borrowed from a public library for my own personal reading in a long time. So long that- not counting my college library experience- I can trace my public library borrowing back to my high school years.

See, I am a book consumer- I indulge in buying my books, getting that "fresh" smell when you crack it open, the softness of the pages, the richness of the graphics. Often with a pencil in hand, I write all over my books- in the margins to document my dialogue, in between words that are intriguing, under sentences that I plan to use at one point,... Usually, I do go back to my favorites, not to reread the entire book but to locate my markings. Oh, and I love buying them in 'bulk', usually 4-5 at a time, after a careful research.

At the end of June this year, I did a quick calculation, and realized that the money I spent on books rivaled our grocery budget. And this is when I became frugal.

I went through my filing cabinet to locate that membership card that I had signed up for about a year ago. I knew it'd come in handy one day. I went to the Westchester Public Library website, registered, and started searching around. Some books I found my local libraries had available, others I put on hold.

With a plan on hand and a list in purse, I drove to my first local library. Disappointed that it's undergoing a major renovation, I quickly made my way to the "New Releases" and located my book, and coyly approached the library lady (I used to be one in college!) and showed my card. All went well. Then, I drove to another nearby library, and that's where I lost myself in shelves, shelves full of books. Though no longer fresh smelling, the books were still appealing, preserving their allure of newness. Equipped with four books by the end of the day, I drove home happily. When hubby came home that night, I boasted about how much I 'saved' that day by borrowing my books, instead of purchasing them. He was impressed.

Now into my second month of using the public library, I am feeling content about saving the money I would've spent otherwise. So, you can imagine, I was not the least bit surprised to hear about Queens Library's release:

"Public library usage is expected to rise dramatically in the coming months. Traditionally, people turn to public libraries during hard economic times for free entertainment, free after-school child care, to help with employment, for free access to the public use computers and to help them save money by doing things themselves, such as home and auto repairs. Queens Library saw a 16 percent jump in circulation and attendance immediately following Sept. 11, for instance."


About the pencil in hand?
Well, it's still in my hand, but now I jot down my notes on any paper that I can find. That is, until I find the 'perfect' notebook companion to my books...

No comments: