Wednesday, August 6, 2008

About Lindsay and My Hair

Early July, HBO On-Demand was running Georgia Rule- a movie about a generation of women, clashing, congealing, and then clashing again and coming together for good. What interested me more than the plot was- ready for this one?- Lindsay Lohan's hair. Yes. She had gorgeous, long-layered hair. And I know, she has probably more extensions than anyone, more hair-coloring jobs than my years of hair dying combined, a stylist at hand, and all those countless luxuries that those in the eye of the public can afford. With all that said, I wanted her hair.


So afraid that I was reverting to my teeny-boppy years, defined by the 'original' 90210 days, I emailed my girlfriend who is always up and about these things. After a few confessional email exchanges, she reassured me that my obsessions was ok, it wasn't Lindsay that I was yearning after but her haircut. Whew. Then she made me promise that I pass on the research after I am through. No problem.

So, I went online. First things first, I needed to get a photograph of her from the movie. The photograph had to reflect the best part of her hair that I loved: the distinct long-layers, the length, and the tousled effect. Definitely NOT the color- so totally not! Not that it's not to die-for, but, see, I am a brunette who has finally found her own natural hair color and proud & protective of it. And here is why:

My dalliance with my hair color goes back to elementary years where I used to use a lemon-water mixture to lighten my hair in my grandmother's backyard. In the middle school, I continued using the lemon-water solution but added small doses of peroxide to speed up the process. Then, I moved on to experimenting with henna, trying every brand that Ricky's carried. Not only it added subtle color, but also gave shine to die for. After a few years of increasingly reddish hair color, I moved onto semi-permanent hair dyes. Now, in this territory, I started off with natural ones like Natural Instincts and Herbal Essences. After a disastrous "Bozo-the-Clown" experience where my then-boyfriend hubby had to run to the nearest CVS to get 'corrective' dark brown hair color so that I'd look semi-decent to his friends who were meeting me the first time EVER (still a story we share & laugh about), I went professional.

During my professionally-done hair coloring days, I first started with honey-ish highlights around my face. Noticing that my hair was increasingly getting lighter, I thought I would extend the highlighting from sectional to all-over my hair. During these years, I went highlight- obsessed: I would randomly ask women (on subways, business meetings,...) who I thought had amazing highlights about where they went. After a few different hair-colorists and four to five sessions of all-around highlights, I was on my to becoming a very light brown brunette. Now, with my olive complexion, that was not a pretty scene. In addition, I was spending a fortune that should've really been going into a 401k account per Suzie Orman. So, I decided to go bare, and forget all about highlights.

Well, that lasted, ummm, about two months, until I realized I needed some serious help: Coming down the escalators at Saks Fifth Avenue, I saw a woman- me- with multitude of hair colors that ranged from brassy orange blond to very dark brown. Literally tears running down my cheeks, I ran to Dean & Deluca and treated myself to a full-fat cappuccino and a walnut brownie. Now that explains my relationship with food, doesn't it?

I called my Mom. Now, my Mom who lives in Istanbul, visits her hairdresser on a weekly basis- which is a norm in major cities in Turkey- to get her weekly treatments, blow-outs, styling, and coloring. She said she would talk to Mehmet, her hair stylist of decades, and then get back to me. So, it was upon their urging, I waited until I went to Istanbul to get my now-multinational "hair issue" fixed.

Mehmet, true to his word, did a fantastic job! My hair was finally one color yet subtly multi-toned, and from what I remember, the closest to its natural shade. Now, I needed someone in the City who I can trust would maintain my hair in between my visits to Istanbul. This is how I started making the pilgrimage from Westchester to Astoria to see Baris, the owner of Friends hair salon.

Equipped with the empty box of hair coloring that fixed all my problems, I was treated like a queen at Friends- they are so friendly and so amazingly knowledgeable about hair, from the latest styles to the latest techniques. Yet, the travel was taking a toll, and I, very reluctantly, started going locally. By the way, from what I hear, those guys also work in Toka in the City, NYC home of the very famous DC salon. With the end of my visits to Friends came the end of my hair coloring adventure.

Going back, a picture of Linsday's haircut from Georgia Rule. Got it. Check. The next step: Find who does her hair. Thanks to the Internet, that was easy: Neil George. Bad news: There's no New York City outpost and I am not traveling to LA anytime soon. More research led me to Rare Salon in the Tribeca. I was conflicted at this point: Do I take the picture and go to my local salon (who has gone very price-y now), or do I give Rare a try?

I picked the latter and went to see Alana. I think this has been one of the best decisions I made about my hair without borrowing from my retirement account. Alana not only gave the most luscious layers to my hair but she also gave me so many usable tips to play around with my new hairstyle. It's been so much fun!

Now, who says a girl cannot have a movie star hair without paying a hefty price?

No comments: