Friday, August 1, 2008

Rethinking Eileen Fisher

An older gentleman- oh, about 80 or so- stepped off the pedicure chair as I squished my body in the empty chair, in between two older ladies who were in a deep conversation. Feet soaked into the warm bubbly water, I pulled out my book and tried to concentrate on the lines that I found myself reading over and over. Their conversation jumped from Bat Mitzvahs to Weddings to Whole Foods as did their talking arms jumped from the sides of their seats into mine. I was about to pull out my iPod when the lady on my left started talking about shopping from Eileen Fisher since she's put on the post-menopause pounds. Hmm... I had never associated Eileen Fisher's clothing with plus-size, then again, lately I've noticed that brands have started stretching their range of sizes from 00- to 20+...


I got acquainted with Eileen Fisher about a year or two ago from an article in Westchester Magazine, I think it was about her home. Ms. Fisher lives in Irvington, over commanding views of the Hudson River. I remember looking at the pictures and noticing the simplicity, elegance and harmony of colors in her home- and later, I found out that she started off as an interior designer. When you read her bio on her website, it really does not do justice to many contributions she has made to women in business, including her support for Powerful Voices.

In terms of price/value relationship, Eileen Fisher delivers- especially when they're on sale. Her clothing has clean lines- reminiscent of 1980s Calvin Klein-, contemporary feel without being overly-trendy (which is a big no-no for me), and incorporates very luxurious textures. You want to keep rubbing your hand on her cotton tanks, cashmere shawls, and silk wraps. Well, at least until a sales associates meets you eye-to-eye!!

Recently, I came across a couple of fall pieces that I plan to add to my wardrobe:
Fair Trade Short Cardigan in Organic Cotton Crimp Ladder, amazingly soft with modern lines.
I also love the Short-Sleeve Dolman Cardigan in Natural Cashmere. You can definitely stretch wearing this cardigan way into winter. To me, it's a timeless piece.

Overall, I think Eileen Fisher offers a life style to women- simple, modern and luxurious. I don't think I'm going to wait until my post-menopausal stage to start investing in Eileen Fisher; a piece here and a piece there, I can build my wardrobe staples.

Oh, back to the pedicure scene- deciding not to put on the iPod was sage. Sometimes I think we don't listen to the older generations enough, even if they're completely unrelated to us- their stories and wisdom just pass us by. Well, I learned that you can use olive oil to get rid of the paint stuck to your hair... Who knew?

And the gentleman whose spot I replaced on the chair, was actually 92 years old...

No comments: