Thursday, August 7, 2008

Instant Gratification

What happened to "waiting"?

Before I add to my Fall/Winter wardrobe, I wait until the September issues of my fave magazines. Similarly, I do the same in March when planning what to purchase for the following Spring/Summer. I love these magazines' thickness, their juiciness- I devour them over a weekend or two, indulging post-its on potential candidates, chewing over my selections, taking a bite out of offerings,... I find beauty in my anticipation.

See, I learned all this from the best: My mother. With a cup of joe at her side, she would perform this ritual every March and September. When I replicate it today, without her physically by my side, I try to adhere to every little step. And then, I cannot wait to get on the phone with her and exchange our findings. Beyond the comparisons of what's hot/not in the US vs. Europe and our takes on the upcoming season, our conversations take many intimate turns. Sheer delight.

Am I so "yesterday"?

The New York Times Thursday Styles may claim so. (Ironic enough, I used to wait for Sunday Styles but now I've been indulged with a mid-week snack of Thursday Styles...) In today's article, "Where the Fashionistas Go for a Quick Fix", there's a review of online fashion magazines to quench a fashion lover's thirst for the newest available. As the article claims, these online magazine may not be able to replace the print counterparts, however, they're a growing clan and attracting viewers and advertisers. I smell money.

Here's a sampling of online magazines from the article:
hintmag.com
luxuryculture.com
unvogue.com
net-a-porter notes.com
gloss.com
fashion156.com
iconique.com

So, the City girl in me loves the speed of information- feed me, feed me! At the same time, I cannot help but feel threatened about losing the sense of anticipation and what that means to me.

Now, what does that make me?

No comments: